Friday, July 27, 2012

Guest Post by Monique Diplock!!

Today I have Monique Diplock doing a guest post today on the blog!!  She is a new author and even has her first book posted on goodreads!  Go and check it out when you have the chance!!


 Dreams

Over the last week I have realized the importance of my dreams. What are your dreams, Monique? I hear you ask. I want to be an Author. Yes, that’s right I want to sit on my butt and write. In the last week so many things have happened in this area I have come to realize that nine times out of ten, you are the only person that has faith in your dreams.

Earlier this week I put my novel Stand Tall, they’ll Break Your Heart (see Here http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13557696-stand-tall-they-ll-break-your-heart) on Goodreads.com to see what kind of Hype I could get for it, It reached Number one on the YA Contemporary list for 2013 within two hours. Oh my god was I excited. It’s Still there now take a look Here. http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21917.2013_Contemporary_YA#13557696

First it was sitting right above one of my Idols’ novel, Lisa Schroeder, I cannot express how bad i felt to surpass her novel, and I absolutely adore her work.

Then it was Three, Two, and then ONE!!!!!!

This happened at like 4am Australian time so as you would imagine I could not wait to tell my mum and family. I woke up early and waited for a time that would be suitable to call and tell her.
I told her, she went through the ‘I’m Proud’ speech but when I told her I wanted to push my studies back for 6 months I got laughed at and told my writing isn’t important. This hurt me immensely. I have been writing since I was 12; I am now 24 so that is 10 years. It’s becoming close to more than half my life.

Than I told my therapist the same thing and I got told ‘You have had all this time to concentrate on writing.’ Yes I have had all this time to concentrate on writing but A) It takes a life time to grow a craft and B) I have never had a reason to concentrate souly on my writing, now all these people want to read MY novel and no one in my life seams at all happy for me.

Even though I have spent more hours then researching this business then I have spent with my own nephew, they still want to tell me they know more about it then me?
But that’s okay, because this is my dream, not theirs. Even though I told them I didn’t want to quit my studies, I just wanted to wait a few months. But anyway, I have faith in my talent. I know that I can work hard and get this book complete til the end and then when I finish that write another, I know in a few years people will wonder why they ever doubted me.

I guess the moral of my story is, people will always find ways to put you down. Even if they don’t realise they are hurting you, they want you to do what they think is best for you; even if it’s not what you know is best for you. If you work hard enough at your dream you can wake up one day and look them in the eye and say ‘I told you so’ but until then you have to take the hurt and the criticism on the sleeve and know that you can do it. Because if you don’t have faith in yourself, no one will.                                                                              

Thanks so much Monique for visiting the blog today!!  I'm sorry you didn't get the support you were hoping for at the beginning.  My advice... KEEP WRITING!!  From someone who has also writing most of her life, I know what it is to want to write professionally!  Don't ever stop, and don't let people keep convince you to stop doing it!  This is our life's ambition!  

Here is the link to Monique's blog, her twitter and Facebook!!  Make sure you go and check her out!! 

THE BOOK MYSTRESS

Follow her on Twitter: @Moniquediplock1

Facebook: www.facebook.com/MissGC

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Bakin' up Blogs Design Copyright © 2011 The Blog Bakery